Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Long time no post

I was so good about posting for a while, then nothing. Ah well, I blame finals and the holiday crunch. Hard at work on this paper on design and critical thinking; knee deep in new museology concepts. I'm having a hard time organizing thoughts, and am afraid this may get away from me... 

I tend to get so deep in research that I lose focus, so I am trying to keep things pointed to one topic. I can always go back to explore later if I want. Especially as I am a one class lady next semester. 

Thinking about subtle and overt politicization of exhibits. What got me thinking about it is comments I have heard about the fetal development area in Bodies/Body Worlds. Almost chapel like - set apart, with recumbent Madonna-like female body. Takes the viewer from a scientific and clinical frame to a spiritual one. Is this subtle politicization? Is that even a word? I cannot help but think that the presentation speaks to the pro-life movement and puts off the message of "the miracle of life." 

I am trying to come up with other examples. Obviously many museums have subtle or overt celebrations of militarism, but what else? And, does it make a difference if it is, say, the Spy Museum's Terror exhibit versus an exhibit from a non-profit? I'm especially interested in exhibits that are not intended to be political, but become so by nature of their physical presentation. 

If anyone is reading this, and has examples, I'd love to hear them.

2 comments:

Elee Wood said...

I'm thinking about the Gustave Courbet exhibit I saw at the Met. There wasn't anything political about its content, save that which the Met politicized by nature of their exhibition choice. I remember these two images and others were in a curtained off room:

http://www.metmuseum.org/special/gustave_courbet/view_1.asp?item=9

http://artchive.com/artchive/C/courbet/origin.jpg.html

Sarah said...

Thanks Elee! I'll check that out.