Thursday, September 25, 2008

Let it be known

That I am terrible at "free writing." Has the world of education and work so destroyed me thus far that when faced with a blank page and free choice of topic, I cannot find a damn thing to write about in a coherent and skillful way? Or have I reached a point where I write like a damn politician, without ever making a statement, but rather arguing both sides until I am blue? Perhaps I am so used to research papers that I feel the need to present compelling evidence and cannot state a damned opinion.

And apparently this makes me angry, hence the use of "damn" throughout.

Perhaps I do need to start creative writing again. Maybe the activities will help build the atrophied muscles.

Next few blog postings will be attempts at "short essays...reflective of...ideas, thoughts, concerns, and interests around the idea of critical museum pedagogy." I swear I am trying.

4 comments:

Sea-of-Green said...

Free writing IS tough, and for a lot of writers it requires quite a bit of practice. The good news is that blogs are GREAT places for learning free writing -- if you don't mind having a bunch of strangers read your stuff. ;-)

Hang in there!

Sarah said...

Heh! I'm not used to anyone reading my stuff. I tend to post this for my own purposes, and doubt I have many readers. But hooray I do!

Thanks for the support, and here's hoping!

S

Elee Wood said...

And hence the need for time in our class to 'free write'! I agree with Sea of Green, blogging is actually a great way to free write. (When I _did_ blog this is what I did. Which makes me think that I too, should do it again.)

Sarah said...

Ah, but if you watch me free write in class, you will see that I have this stumped look. Total blank sometimes. But I think blogging about nothing will help me loosen things up, get things flowing.