Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Welcome!

Welcome to Keepers of Stuff, my blog about my museum life. This blog will serve two functions:

1) Primarily, it will serve as a record of my journey through an internship for the spring semester. I am thrilled to be working with Nina from Museum2.0 on what looks to be a very cool and cutting edge project. I have been reading Nina's blog since it started, having met her briefly at a NAME event at AAM Boston several years ago. She's brilliant, so if you aren't reading her blog, go start now! The internship is with The Tech Museum of Innovation, in California. What is particularly cool is that I am in Indiana and will be doing this internship virtually. The Tech has started a fascinating project in Second Life and I will be spending the next semester looking at the question: How can museums use Second Life to enhance their current work? I truly do not believe that virtual museums can ever replace or come close to comparing to a "real life" museum, but I do think that there are things that can be accomplished in virtual environs like SL that can enhance the experience and create more invested audiences.

2) This blog will also function as a place for me to post about my thoughts on museums in general - things in the news, at conferences, from class, or just from discussions with peers. I love museums, and love talking about them, so this will be a great place to do that.

3) Finally, and this will be a small part, this will be a place to talk about the reality of museums - good, bad and ugly. I work in a huge and busy museum, and see lots of all three, so prepare yourself for some good stories every so often.

So, that's me. I'll start posting in earnest soon. If you want to reach me, you can find me in SL as Sera Wrigglesworth (isn't that a great name!) or leave me a message here.

Ta!

No comments: